Best Ways to Enjoy a North Central Wisconsin Summer
North Central Wisconsin is the land of lakes, forests, trails and friendly communities! Enjoy a unique blend of history, culture and recreational opportunities including hiking, biking, ATVing and more this fall.
Plan your fall trip today and come see for yourself the 9 best views in North Central Wisconsin.
Nothing beats a hot summer day than floating down the Wolf River in a raft, canoe, kayak, or tube. The Wolf River in the northern section from Hollister to Langlade at the Highway 64 bridge is often paddled by beginners. This section offers a variety of Class I and II rapids with good surfing waves and countless currents. Past the Highway 64 bridge, commonly referred to as Section III of the Wolf River, the river has stretches of several Class II+ (III) rapids and some long flatwater stretches. With most of the riverbank under state ownership (until the end of the run), you get the feeling of paddling in a wilderness setting. For more information on the Wolf River, other paddling opportunities, and outfitters in Langlade County, go to www.langladecounty.org.
For fall fun in Lincoln County - check out this trail that follows the abandoned Milwaukee Road railroad bed and goes north from Tomahawk to the Lincoln County line near Lake Nokomis. For more information Lincoln County
Start off on four wheels throughout the Chequamegon-Nicolet National and County Forests. With over 450 miles of fully interconnected, scenic riding, we offer an array of historical and natural sites to visit along the way. Stop in for a sweet treat at Sweet Memories Candy Shoppe in Lakewood. Enjoy room after room of candy or roughly 4,500 square feet of treats. Sweet Memories Candy Shoppe has become part of families “up north” traditions for over 30 years. For more information, click here!
get•a•way get-uh-wey n: well-earned escape from everything but the things you love the most
CAVOC - This four season trail system in Rhinelander is spectacular in the fall, with a beautiful mix of deciduous oak, maple, birch and tamarack, plus stately evergreens and wildlife!
In the Stevens Point Area, here are the top five ways to find summer fun:
- Hit the trail, starting with the popular Green Circle Trail, with unique stops like the Stevens Point Sculpture Park. (Check out our Guide to Tasty Spots along the way - or our Kids Guide to the trail.)
- Find fun on the water, including exploring the backwaters of the Wisconsin River.
- Head out for festivals and events you'll only find here, from the world’s largest and longest-running renewable energy event to the quirky and fun paddling-based adventure Paddlequest.
- Come hungry. Eat your way around Wisconsin's oldest farmers' market, before grabbing a seat at Ruby Cafe, named the best coffeehouse in Wisconsin by Food & Wine. Find more tasty stops, from best breakfasts to Wisconsin staples (including fish frys, burgers and cheese curds.)
- Find more local flavor. A trip to the Stevens Point Area just isn’t complete without visiting the Central Wisconsin Craft Collective, with craft breweries, wineries, and a distillery.
Don't miss any of the fun! Order a free visitor guide, and start planning your trip at StevensPointArea.com today!
No matter the weather, we have some great options for your visit!
Try Our Great 8 - Chef's Top Picks for Unique Flavors in Shawano Country
Sommelier/Chef Wayne Czypinski describes his top choices for unique flavors and signature dishes from 8 restaurants and one nationally acclaimed bacon crafter in Shawano and Menominee Counties.
Feelin' Outdoorsy?? - Hit the Trails!!
With over 400 miles of groomed and marked snowmobile trails that wind through majestic forests and scenic meadows, Shawano County is a snowmobiler's paradise.
Whether you're looking for a date night, retail therapy with the girls or fun with the kiddos, check out Shawano Country!
Long, warm days are meant to be spent in Vilas County’s lakes and forests. From boating and fishing to hiking and biking, active travelers will have no problem finding new adventures. It’s also the season of lakeside sunsets, naps in the hammock and cookouts by the beach. Set your day in motion or enjoy the freedom of having nothing to do but relax.
Summer travel inspiration:
Find more travel information here.
Nordic Mountain offers winter fun the whole family will enjoy. 18 exciting trails, including 2 glade trails and 3 terrain park runs. Evergreen Campsites & Resort Tubing Park is designed to be the most exciting tubing ride around.
For more information on Nordic Mountain